The perfect Christmas Eve meal, the white pudding adds a delicious flavour and texture to this classic dish. Make ahead of time and freeze once assembled for a stress-free family dinner.
1kg potatoes, peeled and halved
400ml milk, plus a splash
25g butter, plus a knob
25g plain flour
1 white onion, finely sliced
1 x pack fish pie mix (cod, salmon, smoked haddock etc, weight around 320g-400g depending on pack size)
100g The Farmer’s Son White Pudding, cut into small cubes.
1 tsp Dijon or English mustard
½ a 25g pack or a small bunch chives, finely snipped
handful frozen petits pois
handful grated cheddar
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
2. Peel and half 1kg of potatoes and place in a saucepan and pour over enough water to cover them. Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender. When cooked, drain thoroughly and mash with a splash of milk and a knob of butter. Season to taste.
3. Place 25g butter, 25g plain flour and finely sliced onion in another pan and heat gently until the butter has melted, stirring regularly. Cook for 1-2 mins.
4. Whisk in 400ml milk gradually using a whisk. Bring to the boil, stirring to avoid any lumps and sticking at the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3-4 mins until thickened.
5. Take off the heat and stir in mixed fish, 1 tsp Dijon or English mustard, a small bunch of finely snipped chives, handful of petits pois and white pudding. Spoon into an ovenproof dish or 6-8 ramekins.
6. Spoon the potato on top and sprinkle with a handful of grated cheddar cheese.
7. Pop in the oven for 20-25 mins or until golden and bubbling at the edges.