Serve up a traditional steak pie this Hogmanay with a The Farmer’s Son twist. Make the filling ahead of time so that you can spend more time celebrating with your loved ones.
1kg braising steak, diced
100g The Farmer’s Son Black Pudding, diced
2 onions, roughly chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
3 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp of mixed dried herbs
2 beef stock cubes mixed with 600ml boiling water
375g sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
1 egg yolk, beaten
Season to taste
To make the filling:
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
2. Heat half the oil in a large casserole dish, brown the meat and set aside. Add the onions adding more oil if needed, then cook on a low heat for 5 mins until coloured. Add the carrot and cook for a further couple of minutes.
3. Mix the herbs and flour together and scatter over the vegetables, stirring until the flour turns brown. Tip the meat and any juices back into the pan and give it all a good stir. Pour over the stock, season, and bring to a simmer then cover with a lid and put in the oven for about 2 hrs, until the meat is tender.
To make the pie:
4. Turn up the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7.
5. Tip the filling into a 24-26cm pie dish. Place the pieces of diced black pudding throughout the pie.
6. Unroll the pastry and drape over the dish, using a knife trim it to the edge of the dish. Brush the pastry with egg yolk and make a few slits in the middle to allow the steam to escape.
7. Bake in the oven for 40minutes or until the pastry is golden. Let it stand for a few minutes before serving.